• A report on Global air pollution was released from IQ Air, a Swiss air quality technology company specialising in protection against airborne pollutants, and developing air quality monitoring and air cleaning products.
• Delhi remained the most polluted capital city in the world but India, on the whole, had improved its average annual PM2.5 (particulate matter) levels in 2020 than in 2019,
• India is the third most polluted country in 2020, unlike in 2019, when its air was the fifth most noxious.
• Bangladesh and Pakistan were the countries in 2020 with worse average PM2.5 levels than India.
• China ranked 11th in the latest report, a deterioration from the 14th in the previous edition of the report.
• When ranked by cities, Hotan in China was the most polluted, with an average concentration of 110.2 μg/m³, followed by Ghaziabad in Uttar Pradesh at 106. Of the 15 most polluted cities, 13 were in India.
• In the 2020 report, 106 countries were evaluated. The pollution levels are weighted averages, meaning that the population of a country influences the pollution values reported.
• In 2020, 84% of all monitored countries observed air quality improvements.
• However, of the 106 monitored countries, only 24 met the World Health Organization annual guidelines for PM 2.5.
Mains Paper 2: International
Prelims level: Air Pollution report
Mains level: Read the newsfeed