• Opposition parties in poll-bound Assam slammed Prime Minister Narendra Modi for referring to 17th century Ahom general Lachit Borphukan as a freedom fighter.
• Lachit Borphukan (1622 – 1672) was a commander and Borphukan (Phu-Kon-Lung) in the Ahom kingdom, located in present-day Assam.
• He is known for his leadership in the 1671 Battle of Saraighat that thwarted a drawn-out attempt by Mughal forces under the command of Ramsingh I to take over Ahom kingdom.
• On 24 November each year Lachit Divas (Lachit Day) is celebrated state-wide in Assam to commemorate the heroism of Lachit Borphukan and the victory of the Assamese army at the Battle of Saraighat.
• The best passing out cadet of National Defence Academy has conferred the Lachit Borphukan gold medal every year from 1999.
Mains Paper 1: History
Prelims level: Lachit Borphukan
Mains level: Read the newsfeed
Subscribe to Get Weekly updates
Get daily current affair video, detailed current affairs PPT for quick revision and Free One Liner PDF directly in your inbox.
Subscribe now to get this month's one liner for FREE.